Todd L. Parsons
photo by K. R. Wood
My most recent curriculum vita and my profile at Google
Stochastic population models and combinatorial stochastic processes arising from ecology, epidemiology and population genetics.
- Mathematical: density-dependent population processes, branching processes, Fleming-Viot processes, coalescent theory, and large deviations.
- Biological: demographic stochasticity, community genetics, robustness & adaptability, molecular evolution, and phylogenetics.
- Parsons, T. L. Invasion probabilities, hitting times, and some fluctuation theory for the stochastic logistic process.
- Parsons, T. L. and Rogers, T. Dimension reduction for stochastic dynamical systems forced onto a manifold by large drift: a constructive approach with examples from theoretical biology.
- Bowen, E. J., Parsons, T. L., Curtis, T. P., Plotkin, J. B. and Quince, C. Integrating theory and experiment to explain the breakdown of population synchrony in a complex microbial community.
- Harris, K., Parsons, T. L., Ijaz, U. Z., Lahti, L., Holmes, I., and Quince, C. Linking statistical and ecological theory: Hubbell's unified neutral theory of biodiversity as a hierarchical Dirichlet process. Proc. IEEE 105 (3): 516-529.
- Stewart, A. J., Parsons, T. L., and Plotkin, J. B. (2016) Evolutionary consequences of behavioral diversity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 113 (45): E7003-E7009.
- Stewart, A. J., Parsons, T. L., and Plotkin, J. B. (2012)
Environmental robustness and the
evolvability of populations. Evolution 66 (5): 1598-1612. Supplementary material.
- Morlon, H., Parsons, T. L., and Plotkin, J. B. (2011) Reconciling molecular phylogenies with the
fossil record. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108 (39): 16327-16332. Cover.
Commentary by Tanja Stadler.
- Draghi, J. A., Parsons, T. L.,and Plotkin, J. B. (2011) Epistasis increases the rate of
conditionally neutral substitution in an adapting population.
Genetics 187 (4): 1139-1152.
- Parsons, T. L., Quince, C., and Plotkin, J. B. (2010) Some consequences of demographic stochasticity in population genetics. Genetics 185 (4): 1345-1354.
- Draghi, J. A., Parsons, T. L., Wagner, G. P., and Plotkin, J. B. (2010) Mutational robustness can facilitate
adaptation. Nature 463 (7279): 353-355. Supplementary material.
- Parsons, T. L., Quince, C., and Plotkin, J. B. (2008) Absorption and fixation times for neutral and quasi-neutral populations with density dependence. Theor. Pop. Biol. 74 (4): 302-310.
- Parsons, T. L. and Quince, C. (2007) Fixation in haploid populations exhibiting density dependence II: The quasi-neutral case. Theor. Pop. Biol. 72 (4): 468-479.
- Parsons, T. L. and Quince, C. (2007) Fixation in haploid populations exhibiting density dependence I: The non-neutral case. Theor. Pop. Biol. 72 (1): 121-135.
Some Recent Talks
- An Invariance Principle for the Neutral Theory of Biodiversity and its Applications to the Human Gut Microbiome, given at l'Universite de Montreal in September 2013.
- The `Conventional Wisdom' Redux: Stochastic Evolution in Multi-strain Epidemics, given at the University of Glasgow in August, 2012.
- Inferring Diversity Dynamics,
given at McMaster University in October, 2011.
- A Mathematical Framework for Density
Dependent Population Genetics, given at U.C. Santa Cruz in April,
- Neutrality, Epistasis & Evolvability:
Can the Topology of Genome Space Affect Evolution?, given at the
University of Waterloo in June, 2010.
- Here's a Transport Canada case study of BikeShare, a bike lending program I co-founded. From 2001-2006, it was North
America's largest bike-sharing program.
- I am ranked 2nd dan in Yoshinkan aikido.
- For the sake of my sanity, I would encourage everybody to read this. You should watch this too.